14 questions with Phil Baroni
By Eric Hobaugh
When I think about Phil Baroni, several images come to mind. The walk in. The shades. The physique. Thefuck you attitude. Exciting fights. The epic battles against Evan Tanner (times two) and Ikuhisa Minowa stand out in my mind as some of the most memorable moments in his MMA career. He is a legend of the sport. He has fought all over the world against some of the best in the business. He is also a good guy who is well liked by not only fans, but is well respected as a fighter. He is still fighting and says he will get back to the big show. I think if he can put a couple of wins together, he could realistically get back to Dream, Strikeforce or even the UFC. Sure he is 14-14, but who cares. He is still the New York Bad Ass. Randy Couture ended his career 19-11. Everyone eventually looses in MMA.
He was nice enough to answer some questions for us here at arearnakedchoke.com
1. You have had a long and amazing career in MMA. What is the highlight moment in your career?
I hope it hasn’t happened yet. I’d have to say beating Minowa in PRIDE, I was brought in to lose and I flipped the swich on them and stomped his fucking head in. It also led to a pretty good run for me in PRIDE.
2. Pride or UFC?
I like the Ring and the rules as well as the judging system in PRIDE.
3. How do you feel about Alister Oveteem’s positive test for PED’s?
Fuck man, it sucks for him. I like the guy and I like watching him fight…. That’s another thing I liked about PRIDE to be honest, no testing. It was up to the fighter to do whatever it took to be the best. I want to see the best fighters go at it. I mean fuck it, let’s see who is the best in the world, not who is the best in the world at beating drug test. ‘Laughs” It is what it is and I feel bad for Allister
4. Who did you look up to when you were starting out?
Coleman, Shamrock, Vitor Belfort
5. Who hit you the hardest in a fight?
I don’t know I got hit by a lot of hard punchers. I can’t say.
6. When is your next fight?
June 2 Ring of Fire in Denver.
He fights Chris THE HAMMER Holland
7. Why don’t you write a book about your life inside and outside of fighting? I bet of fans would love to hear your story and it would sell very well.
I have a lot of crazy stories . Stories that I shouldn’t ever tell. Its been a wild ride to be honest and if I could do it all over again I’d say fuck it and really go hard. My biggest regret is I didn’t really go nuts,
8. Do you have plans to open a gym?
Maybe someday, I’d like to do something overseas maybe, Who knows man. I don’t know what I’m doing next week.
9. Do you have Clothing line? How can fans buy your merchandise?
Check out future legend, and my web site
10. Who is the greatest fighter of all time?
I’d have to say Fedor, Anderson Silva or Dan Henderson
11. What does your life after fighting look like?
I have no idea, I’m not done fighting.
12. I will always remember you as a guy who showed up in shape and gave the people what they wanted. A fucking fight! You were never in a boring fight. How do you want to be remembered inside the octagon/ring?
Exactly how you described me.
13. I have to ask this man, California, Japanese or New York girls?
14. In your second fight with Evan Tanner, I thought it was very close. He won a unanimous decision. How do you think we can improve MMA judging?
Hire former fighters to judge fights or at least fucking guys who know what they are looking at.
Phil Baroni on twitter is @philbaroni
Phil on Facebook is https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608333973
This story originally appeared on arearnakedchoke.com